This is one of my favorites. It is sooo easy, comes together in a snap, cleanup isn't bad, and it makes you feel like a pro. I always use a little bit more spaghetti sauce than the recipe calls for, especially since I don't cook the shells first. Also, the basil pesto is SO worth it. It's expensive and goes bad fast BUT... if you store it in the freezer, it will keep (up to 6 months after opening) and it thaws almost instantly when you need to use it. Don't leave that ingredient out! It makes a huge difference!
Also, you can get away with not cooking the shells. Just be sure you overdo the sauce, because the shells absorb a good bit of the moisture while cooking.
Also, you can get away with not cooking the shells. Just be sure you overdo the sauce, because the shells absorb a good bit of the moisture while cooking.

Baked Manicotti
2 c. spaghetti sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 c. ricotta cheese
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 basil pesto sauce
12 manicotti shells, cooked, rinsed in cold water (or uncooked and add 1/2-1 c. sauce to recipe)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread 3/4 c. of the spaghetti sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Mix egg, ricotta, 1½ c. mozzarella, parmesan, and pesto sauce until well-blended. Spoon cheese mixture into large resealable plastic bag. Using scissors, cut off one of the bottom corners of the bag. Fill manicotti shells, one at a time, squeezing cheese mixture into both sides of each shell. Place in baking dish; pour remaining 1¼ c. spaghetti sauce over manicotti. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 40 minutes or until heated through. The last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle more mozzarella cheese over top and remove aluminum foil to allow to melt and brown slightly.
I serve this with a simple green salad and some form of bread.
That sounds delish! I will have to try it :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so yummy! I found it somehow a couple of years ago. When I remembered it tonight, I had to google like crazy to find your blog again. I'm so glad I did!
ReplyDelete